Easy Lemon Lentil Soup with Spinach
- 1 1/2 cups red lentils, rinsed
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes with their juice
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 8 whole garlic cloves, peeled
- 4 slices fresh ginger (each about the size of a quarter)
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 10 ounce bag washed baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Coarse sea salt or kosher salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
1. Combine 6 cups of water with the lentils in a 3- to 4-quart saucepan over high heat. Skim off the foam as the lentils begin to boil. Add tomatoes, oil, turmeric, and garlic. Reduce the heat to a simmer. Wrap ginger, rosemary, and bay leaf in a piece of cheesecloth, tie it closed with kitchen string, and add to the pan. Simmer until the lentils are tender and the garlic is soft; discard the cheesecloth.
2. Add the spinach and simmer until wilted. Stir in the lemon juice. Crush the garlic against the side of the pot with the back of a spoon and stir so that it melts into the soup. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and serve.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say "Yes" to Fitness® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE – 2 full years (20 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Fitness Band and Total Body Express Band Workout ABSOLUTELY FREE! (U.S. orders only)