Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 4 6 inches corn tortillas
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 14 1/2ounce cans diced tomatoes with jalapeno
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 pound diced cooked chicken breast (about 3 cups)
- 1 ounce shredded reduced-fat cheddar (about 1/4 cup)
1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. Stack the tortillas and cut into 1/4-inch strips; toss with 1 tablespoon of the canola oil, 1/4 teaspoon of the cumin and the salt. Place on baking sheet and bake 12 minutes or until lightly browned and crisp, tossing occasionally.
3. Meanwhile, heat remaining oil in a soup pot. Add remaining cumin and the onion, oregano, garlic and bell pepper. Cook, stirring, about 3 minutes, or until slightly softened. Add the tomatoes and chicken broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and add the corn and chicken; simmer 10 minutes.
4. Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with the cheddar. Top with tortilla strips.