Shrimp Banh Mi
- cal. (kcal) 247
- Makes: 2 servings
- Prep: 25 mins
- Start to Finish: 25 mins
- Carb Grams Per Serving: 30
large carrot, peeled and shredded
chopped fresh cilantro
low-fat plain yogurt
fish sauce, (see Ingredient note)
12-inch baguettes, halved lengthwise
peeled cooked shrimp, (21-25 per pound; thawed if frozen), tails removed (see Tip)
scallions, thinly sliced lengthwise and cut into 2-inch pieces
- Place carrot and vinegar in a small bowl; stir to combine. Let marinate while preparing the rest of the ingredients.
- Place cilantro, mayonnaise, yogurt, fish sauce, lime juice and cayenne in a medium bowl; stir to combine. Spread 2 teaspoons of this sauce on the bottom half of each baguette. Add shrimp to the remaining sauce; toss to coat. Using a slotted spoon, divide carrot among the baguettes (discard vinegar). Top with shrimp, cucumber and scallions. Cut each baguette into two 6-inch sandwiches.
- Tips: Ingredient Note: Fish sauce: A pungent Southeast Asian sauce made from salted, fermented fish. Found in the Asian section of large supermarkets and in Asian specialty markets.
- Tip: To defrost frozen shrimp, place in a colander under cold running water until thawed.
Nutrition InformationServings Per Recipe: 2
PER SERVING: 247 cal., 4 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 153 mg chol., 504 mg sodium, 30 g carb. (5 g fiber), 24 g pro.