Tuna Salad Nicoise
- 1 pound fresh or frozen tuna steaks, cut 1 inch thick
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
- 1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 anchovy fillet, rinsed and mashed
- Black pepper
- 8 ounces tiny new potatoes, quartered
- 6 ounces green beans
- 6 cups Bibb or Boston lettuce leaves
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced radishes
- 1/2 cup nicoise olives or black ripe olives, pitted
1. Thaw fish, if frozen. Rinse fish; pat dry. For dressing, in a small bowl combine vinegar and shallots. Whisk in mustard. Add oil in a thin, steady stream, whisking constantly. Stir in the anchovy; season to taste with salt and black pepper. Remove 1 tablespoon of the dressing for brushing fish; set aside remaining dressing until ready to serve.
2. Brush the 1 tablespoon dressing over both sides of fish. Place fish on the greased, unheated rack of a broiler pan. Broil about 4 inches from the heat for 8 to 12 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork, gently turning once halfway through broiling. (Or grill fish on the greased rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 8 to 12 minutes, gently turning once halfway through grilling.) Cut fish into slices.
3. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan cook potatoes in boiling water for 7 minutes. Add green beans; cook for 2 minutes more or until potatoes are tender. Drain and cool slightly.
4. To serve, arrange fish, potatoes, green beans, lettuce leaves, radishes, and, if desired, the olives on 4 dinner plates. Serve with the remaining dressing.