Shrimp and Tropical Fruit
- 1 1/4 pounds fresh or frozen jumbo shrimp in shells
- 1 cup bottled barbecue sauce
- 2/3 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 4 teaspoons grated gingerroot or 1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/4 of a fresh pineapple, sliced crosswise
- 1 medium papaya, peeled, seeded, and cut up
- 3 medium kiwifruit, peeled and cut up
1. Thaw shrimp, if frozen. Peel and devein shrimp, leaving tails intact. Rinse shrimp; pat dry. On six 10- to 12- inch skewers thread shrimp. For sauce, in a medium bowl stir together barbecue sauce, pineapple juice, oil and gingerroot. Brush shrimp with sauce.
2. Grill shrimp on the greased rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium heat for 10 to 12 minutes or until shrimp turn pink, turning once and brushing occasionally with sauce. Place pineapple on grill rack next to shrimp the last 5 minutes of grilling, turning once.
3. Serve shrimp and pineapple with papaya and kiwifruit. In a small saucepan heat remaining sauce to boiling; cool slightly. Pass for dipping.