- 12 fresh or frozen sea scallops
- 2 medium fennel bulbs
- 3 medium oranges, peeled and sectioned
- 3/4 cup pitted ripe olives, quartered
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh tarragon
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon champagne vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Fresh tarragon for garnish
1. Thaw scallops, if frozen. Rinse and pat dry with paper towels. Cut upper stalks from fennel bulbs. Remove any wilted outer layers and cut and discard a thin slice from each fennel base. Cut fennel bulbs into very thin slices.
2. In a large bowl, combine fennel, oranges, olives, tarragon, lemon juice, 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, and the champagne vinegar. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon of the kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper. Cover and let stand for 15 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, toss scallops with remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Thread scallops onto long skewers, leaving a 1/4-inch space between them. Grill over medium heat 5 to 8 minutes, or until scallops are opaque, turning once halfway through grilling. Divide fennel mixture among four dinner plates. Top with scallops; sprinkle with almonds. Garnish with tarragon.