Savory French Toast With Apples, Chicken Sausage and Sage
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup 1 percent milk
- 1 tablespoon crumbled fresh sage
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 slices whole-grain bread
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 chicken-apple sausage links (9 oz), sliced into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 large apples, such as Pink Lady, cored adn cut into thin wedges
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 8 teaspoons maple syrup
- Sea salt flakes (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees . Whisk together eggs, egg whites, milk, 2 teaspoons sage, 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a 2-quart casserole dish. Soak bread in egg mixture 2 slices at a time, about 2 minutes a side.
2. Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray, heat over medium heat, and cook bread 2 slices at a time until golden, 2 to 3 minutes a side. Transfer to a plate, cover with foil and place in oven to keep warm.
3. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook sausage, stirring, until golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Set aside. Add apples and remaining sage to skillet and cook, stirring, 3 to 4 minutes. Add cider and remaining salt and pepper, reduce heat to low and cook apples until soft, 6 to 7 minutes more. Return sausage to pan and cook until warmed through, 1 to 2 minutes.
4. Top French toast with apple-sausage mixture, drizzle with maple syrup and sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt if desired.