Warm Quinoa and Chickpea Salad
- 2 cups quinoa
- 1 clove garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon salt plus a pinch
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil plus more for drizzling
- 1 15 1/2ounce can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup sliced or slivered almonds
- 1/3 cup pitted black olives, sliced
- 1/3 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 package spinach or arugula leaves
1. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil; add the quinoa and cook until just tender, about 12 minutes. Drain well.
2. Using the flat side of a knife, mash the garlic into a paste with the pinch of salt. Place in a large bowl and stir in the lemon juice, black pepper and remaining salt; whisk in the oil.
3. Add the cooked quinoa and the chickpeas, almonds, olives and bell pepper to the bowl and mix. Serve over the spinach or arugula leaves and drizzle with olive oil.