Three-Grain Salad With White Beans, Tomatoes and Parmesan
- 1/2 cup hulled barley
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup farro
- 1/4 cup bulgur
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced red onion
- 1 smashed garlic clove
- 1 cup drained, rinsed cannellini beans
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1 cup torn fresh basil leaves
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Black pepper
- 1/4 cup shaved Parmesan
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the barley and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt; boil for 30 minutes. Add the farro; boil for an additional 20 to 25 minutes or until both grains are just tender. Drain.
2. Meanwhile, bring 6 tablespoons of water to a boil in a small saucepan; add the bulgur. Bring the liquid back to a boil, then cover the pot, turn off the heat, and let sit for 25 minutes, until the water is absorbed.
3. In a large bowl, toss together the vinegar, onion, garlic and remaining salt.
4. Add the grains to the vinegar mixture while still warm; toss well. Remove the garlic and stir in the beans, tomatoes, basil and olive oil; season with black pepper to taste. Fold in the Parmesan and serve.