- 1 recipe Dried Yellow Tomato Vinaigrette (see below)
- 6 cups mixed salad greens
- 2 1 inch thick slices crusty sourdough bread, cut into irregular pieces
- 1 8 inch whole wheat pita bread round, cut into 12 wedges
- 2 slices pumpernickel bread, torn into pieces
- 1 small sweet onion, very thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 1 cup yellow and/or red pear-shaped tomatoes or cherry tomatoes
- 2 ounces shaved dry Monterey Jack cheese or other hard grating cheese
1. Prepare Dried Yellow Tomato Vinaigrette. Transfer to a storage container. Cover and chill.
2. In a large salad bowl combine mixed greens, sourdough pieces, pita wedges, torn pumpernickel, sliced onion, and tomatoes. Drizzle with the Dried Yellow Tomato Vinaigrette; toss gently to coat. Top with cheese.
Dried Yellow Tomato Vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup snipped dried yellow or red tomatoes (not oil-packed)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
- 2 teaspoons snipped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/3 cup olive oil
1. Place dried yellow or red tomatoes in a small bowl. Add boiling water; cover and let stand 10 minutes. Drain tomatoes, reserving 1/2 cup of the liquid. In a blender container or food processor bowl combine tomatoes and their reserved liquid, red wine vinegar, Dijon-style mustard, thyme, salt, and pepper. Cover and blend or process until nearly smooth. Gradually add olive oil, processing until combined and slightly thickened.