Spicy Lime Beef Salad
- 1 pound sugar snap peas, ends and strings trimmed
- 1 red bell pepper, quartered, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded and sliced thin
- 1 pound skirt or flank steak
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1/2 fresh red chile (seeds and veins removed for less heat if desired), sliced crosswise
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 2 tablespoons mint leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons roasted unsalted peanuts, chopped (optional)
1. Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil. Add the sugar snaps and boil 1 minute. Drain and cool under cold running water; drain well. Slice sugar snaps on the diagonal into 1-inch pieces. Transfer to a shallow serving bowl and add the bell pepper and cucumber.
2. Heat a medium nonstick skillet over high heat 2 minutes. Pat the steak dry and season on both sides with the salt and black pepper to taste. Add 1 tablespoon of the oil to skillet and cook steak, turning once, until seared, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
3. Pour remaining oil into skillet. Add the shallots and saute over medium-high heat until browned, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the lime juice, fish sauce, chile and sugar. Remove from heat.
4. Transfer steak to a cutting board; pour the juices from the plate into skillet. Thinly slice steak across the grain and return sliced meat to skillet; toss to coat.
5. Pour steak and shallot mixture over sugar snaps, bell pepper and cucumber. Garnish with the tomatoes, cilantro and mint and the peanuts if desired; serve immediately.