Seared Scallop & Spinach Salad
- 1/2 pound sea scallops
- 8 cups torn fresh spinach
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/4 - 1/3 cup chutney, snipped
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 - 2 teaspoons Dijon-style mustard
1. Rinse scallops; pat dry. Set scallops aside. In a large bowl toss together spinach, mushrooms, and carrots; set aside.
2. In a large nonstick skillet cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Drain bacon, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings in skillet.
3. In a medium bowl combine chili powder and ground red pepper; add scallops, tossing lightly to coat.
4. Cook scallops in reserved bacon drippings over medium heat for 1 to 3 minutes or until scallops turn opaque. Remove scallops from skillet; set aside. Add chutney, water, and mustard to skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until hot and bubbly; spoon over spinach mixture, tossing lightly to coat.
5. Divide spinach mixture among 4 plates. Top with scallops. Sprinkle with bacon.