Fanny's Tomato Salad With Crispy Shallots
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 large shallots (about 1/2 pound total), sliced crosswise 1/4 inch thick and separated into rings
- 3 - 4 pounds small tomatoes, sliced
- 1 shallot, minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Handful of fresh basil leaves, torn
1. In a small bowl, combine the minced shallot and vinegar and let stand for at least 5 minutes.
2. Whisk in 3 tablespoons olive oil to make a vinaigrette; season to taste with salt and pepper.
3. In a small skillet, heat 1/2 cup olive oil over medium-high heat. Add half the sliced shallots and cook only about 2 minutes, or until they are approaching golden brown. Using a slotted spoon, lift the shallots out of the oil and transfer them to a paper towel to drain. Season with salt. Repeat with the remaining sliced shallots. Set aside.
4. Arrange the tomatoes on a large platter. Season with salt and pepper. Just before serving, drizzle with the vinaigrette and top with the fried shallots and basil leaves.