Chicken Sausage Salad With Lentils and Green Apple
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup French lentils
- 2 cloves garlic, lightly smashed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt plus pinch
- 1 red onion, diced
- 3 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Black pepper
- 4 low-fat chicken sausages
- 1 bunch watercress, coarse stems removed
- 1 small Granny Smith apple, cored and sliced thinly
1. Bring the water to a boil. Add the lentils, garlic and bay leaf to the boiling water and simmer, partially covered, 15 minutes. Stir in 1 teaspoon of the salt, cover and cook until lentils are tender, about 10 minutes. Drain and transfer to a large bowl; discard garlic and bay leaf.
2. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, toss 2 tablespoons of the diced onion with 2 teaspoons each of the vinegar and oil. Season with a pinch of salt and set aside.
3. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add remaining onion and the carrot and celery to skillet. Saute the vegetables until golden, 6 to 8 minutes. Add vegetables to lentils; toss with 3 tablespoons vinegar, 2 teaspoons oil and the mustard; season with remaining salt and the black pepper to taste.
4. In skillet, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add the sausages and cook, turning, until browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board and slice on the diagonal.
5. Add the watercress and apple to the dressed red onion; toss well. To serve, make a bed of lentils on each plate. Top with watercress-apple salad and sausage.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say "Yes" to Fitness® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE – 2 full years (20 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Fitness Band and Total Body Express Band Workout ABSOLUTELY FREE! (U.S. orders only)