Asparagus Salad with Tarragon Vinaigrette
- 1 pound fresh asparagus
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry or orange juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon snipped fresh tarragon or 1/4 teaspoon dried tarragon, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon-style mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cups torn mixed salad greens
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
1. Snap off and discard woody bases from asparagus. If desired, scrape off scales. In a covered medium saucepan cook asparagus in a small amount of boiling water for 2 to 4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Transfer asparagus spears to a bowl filled with ice water; set aside.
2. For dressing, in a food processor bowl or blender container combine rice vinegar, dry sherry, sugar, tarragon, mustard, salt, and pepper. With processor or blender running, slowly add oil in a thin, steady stream. (This should take about 1 minute.) Continue processing or blending until well mixed.
3. To serve, drizzle about half of the dressing over the greens; toss to coat. Divide greens among 4 salad plates. Pat asparagus dry with paper towels; arrange on top of greens. Drizzle asparagus with remaining dressing. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.