Quinoa Salad With Chicken
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 pound)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup quinoa
- 1/4 cup mint, chopped
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 1 cup diced apple with peel
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
1. Coat a grill pan with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Season chicken with the salt and black pepper; cook 8 to 10 minutes a side until cooked through. Cool 2 to 3 minutes, then slice into thin strips.
2. Meanwhile, fill a saucepan with the water and add the quinoa. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium low, cover and simmer 15 minutes. Fluff quinoa with a fork and then refrigerate for 30 minutes.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the mint, scallions, vinegar, orange juice, orange zest, mustard and oil. Mix in the walnuts, apple, red onion and cherries. Add the quinoa and toss to coat. Serve topped with chicken.
NoteWhy This Recipe Works for a Workout Boost:
- Flavonoids and other compounds in cherries can reduce inflammation and soothe aching muscles postexercise.
- Vinegar may help stabilize your blood sugar, contributing to a steady source of energy.
- Apples contain catechins -- antioxidants that help improve lung function, giving you more stamina for your cardio routine.