Spinach, Ham, & Melon Salad
- 1/2 of a small cantaloupe
- 7 cups torn fresh spinach
- 1 cup cubed cooked lean ham
- 1/2 cup pecan halves, toasted
- 1/2 of a medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup Orange-Poppy Seed Dressing
1. Use a melon baller to scoop out the cantaloupe pulp into balls.
2. In a large bowl toss together cantaloupe balls, spinach, ham, pecans, and red onion slices. Pour dressing over salad. Toss lightly to coat.
Orange-Poppy Seed Dressing
Yield: 3/4 cup
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely shredded orange peel
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- Dash pepper
- 1/3 cup salad oil
- 1 teaspoon poppy seed
1. In a food processor bowl or blender container, combine sugar, orange peel, orange juice, vinegar, onion, and pepper. Cover and process or blend until combined. With processor or blender running, slowly add oil in a steady stream through hole or opening in top. Process or blend until mixture is thickened. Stir in poppy seed. Cover and chill for up to 1 week. Shake well before using. Makes about 3/4 cup.