Peppercorn-Crusted Steak with Baked Parsnip Fries
- 1 1/2 pounds parsnips, cut into 4-by-1/2-inch batons
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- 6 5 ounces center-cut filet mignon steaks (about 1 1/4 inches thick), patted dry
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees . Toss parsnips with olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Arrange on a rimmed baking sheet lined with foil and roast until underside is charred, about 20 minutes. Stir to flip, and roast 10 minutes more. Remove from oven and toss with parsley.
2. While parsnips are roasting, sprinkle steaks with remaining salt and pepper. Heat a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Add canola oil and heat for 30 seconds. Add steaks and sear until a crust forms, about 4 minutes. Flip steaks and cook 3 minutes more for medium-rare or 4 minutes more for medium; let rest 3 to 4 minutes and serve with fries.