Penne with Roasted Red Pepper Marinara
- 12 ounces whole-wheat penne pasta
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups finely diced onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 26 ounce can low-sodium crushed tomatoes
- 2 7 ounce jars roasted red peppers, drained, rinsed and chopped
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped oregano (or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary (or 1/4 teaspoon dried)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup lightly packed basil leaves, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 ounce finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano (about 6 tablespoons)
1. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain.
2. As pasta water comes to a boil, heat oil in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent and softened, 6 to 7 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more, stirring occasionally. Add tomatoes, peppers, oregano, rosemary, salt and pepper; bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until sauce is reduced slightly, about 15 minutes.
3. Remove sauce from heat, remove rosemary sprig (if using) and stir in basil. Transfer to a food processor and puree, leaving a few chunks if desired. Top pasta with sauce and Parmigiano-Reggiano and garnish with basil.