Wheat Penne with Roasted Vegetables and Shrimp
- 1 small cauliflower, chopped
- 2 medium red onions, peeled and cut into 1-inch-thick wedges
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced into 1-inch pieces
- 2 small Delicata squash, halved lengthwise, seeded and cut into thin half-moons
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails left on
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/2 pound whole wheat penne pasta
- 1/2 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Coarse sea salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Parmesan cheese for garnish
1. Set a large, rimmed baking pan on the middle shelf of the oven; preheat to 500 degrees F. Bring a large pot of water to a boil; add salt. Put cauliflower, onions, carrots, and squash in the pot; cover until water returns to a boil. Uncover; cook 2 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer vegetables to a colander. Reserve cooking water for later.
2. In a bowl, toss vegetables, shrimp, tomatoes, wine, oil, garlic, cumin, red pepper, and thyme. Transfer to the pan in the oven; roast 15 minutes, stirring midway, until veggies are tender and shrimp is cooked. Discard thyme.
3. Return the pot of water to a boil. Add pasta and cook until al dente. Drain and transfer to a wide serving bowl. Toss pasta with veggie mixture; season with salt and pepper. Add cheese if desired.