Pasta with Smoked Salmon & Lemon Cream
- 8 ounces dried medium shell macaroni, cavatelli, or orecchiette
- 1 5 ounce container semisoft cheese with garlic and herbs
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 medium zucchini and/or yellow summer squash, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced (2 cups)
- 6 ounces thinly sliced, smoked salmon (lox-style), cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh chives
1. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Return pasta to saucepan.
2. Meanwhile, for sauce, in a medium saucepan heat the cheese and milk over low heat until cheese melts, whisking until smooth. Stir in lemon peel and lemon juice. Stir in zucchini and salmon; heat through. Pour sauce over pasta; toss to coat.
3. Transfer to a warm serving platter. Sprinkle with chives.
TipThe Key to Lox
- Can you tell real lox from a fishy imposter? If its draped over a cream-cheese-slathered bagel, thats one clue. If you buy it at a Jewish deli, thats another. But most of all, to pass the lox test, those rosy, translucent, paper-thin salmon slices must be brine-cured, with a bold, salty flavor. Nova Scotia smoked salmon (or Nova) is more delicate in flavor (and more expensive).
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say "Yes" to Fitness® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE – 2 full years (20 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Fitness Band and Total Body Express Band Workout ABSOLUTELY FREE! (U.S. orders only)