Wheat Germ Carrot Muffins
Yield: 12 muffins Prep 15 mins Bake 400°F 20 mins View Nutrition Facts
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 cup golden raisins or dried currants
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cooking oil
- 1 cup shredded carrot
1. Lightly coat twelve 2-1/2-inch muffin cups with cooking spray; set aside. In a small bowl pour boiling water over raisins to cover; set aside.
2. In a medium bowl combine the flour, wheat germ, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Make a well in the center of flour mixture.
3. In a small bowl combine the egg, buttermilk, brown sugar, and oil. Add the egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy). Drain raisins. Gently fold raisins and carrot into batter.
4. Spoon batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling each about three-fourths full. Bake in a 400 degrees oven about 20 minutes or until golden brown. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove from muffin cups. Serve warm.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say "Yes" to Fitness® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE – 2 full years (20 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Fitness Band and Total Body Express Band Workout ABSOLUTELY FREE! (U.S. orders only)