Moroccan Pot Roast With Potatoes and Carrots
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup low-sodium beef broth
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dried plums
- 3/4 cup dried apricots
- 1 1/2 pounds baby Yukon gold potatoes, scrubbed and quartered
- 3 carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 2 pound top round roast
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2/3 cup red wine
1. Coat the inside of a slow cooker with cooking spray. Combine tomato paste, broth, flour, cumin and 1/2 teaspoon salt in cooker. Stir in plums, apricots, potatoes and carrots.
2. Combine pepper, cardamom, cinnamon and remaining salt and sprinkle over entire surface of meat. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; add meat and brown on all sides, about 8 minutes. Transfer meat to slow cooker, placing it on top of vegetables and fruit. Add wine to skillet and boil 1 minute; pour over meat. Cook on low 8 hours.
3. Remove meat from pot and let stand 10 minutes before slicing.