Caramel Apple Pastry
- 4 cups sliced, peeled cooking apples and/or pears
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons lime, lemon, or orange juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons apple pie spice
- 1 tablespoon butter, cut up
- 1/2 17 1/4ounce package (1 sheet) frozen puff pastry, thawed
- Cinnamon or vanilla ice cream (optional)
- Caramel ice cream topping (optional)
1. Lightly grease a large ovenproof skillet; set skillet aside. Combine apple slices, brown sugar, lime juice, and apple pie spice. Spread apple mixture evenly into the bottom of the prepared skillet. Sprinkle butter pieces over fruit. Cook, covered, over medium heat about 5 minutes or until bubbly.
2. Meanwhile, on a lightly floured surface unfold pastry sheet; roll to an 11-inch square. Wrap pastry around a rolling pin. Carefully unroll the pastry over the apple mixture in the skillet (do not stretch pastry); tuck in corners of pastry.
3. Bake, uncovered, in a 400 degrees oven for 15 to 20 minutes or until pastry is puffed and golden. Cool 5 minutes. Carefully invert skillet onto a serving platter; remove skillet. Serve warm. If desired, serve with ice cream and caramel topping.