Lentil-Turkey Meatballs on Grilled Bread
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1/2 cup rinsed and drained canned lentils
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 ounce finely shredded Parmesan (about 3 tablespoons) plus additional for sprinkling (optional)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 pound 93 percent lean ground turkey
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs, preferably whole-wheat
- 4 tablespoons prepared pesto
- 1 tablespoon seasoned rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 4 slices rustic whole-grain bread
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups baby arugula
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees . Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil and coat with cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, lightly mash lentils with a fork. Add egg, 3 tablespoons Parmesan, mustard and pepper and stir to combine. Add turkey and bread crumbs to lentil mixture and knead gently until just combined.
3. Form turkey mixture into 12 meatballs, about 2 tablespoons each, and place on prepared baking sheet. Bake until no longer pink in the center, 14 to 16 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, combine pesto, vinegar and water in a small bowl. Brush bread with oil on one side and lay oil side down in a large skillet. Toast over medium heat, about 6 minutes. Divide bread among four plates, toasted side up. Top with meatballs, pesto mixture, arugula and, if desired, Parmesan.