Lemony Carrot Risotto
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 pound carrots
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon plus 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup farro
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- Zest and juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 cup (about 1 1/2 ounces) grated Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced chives
1. Place 1 1/2 cups broth in a small saucepan and warm over very low heat. Grate one-quarter of the carrots and set aside. Dice remaining carrots and puree in a food processor with remaining broth.
2. Melt butter in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat until foaming, about 2 minutes. Add onion, cumin, grated carrots, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add farro and cook, stirring constantly, until it starts to crackle, about 2 minutes. Add wine and cook about 1 minute.
3. Decrease heat to medium low, stir in carrot puree and bring to a simmer. Add 1/2 cup broth and simmer, stirring constantly, until broth is nearly absorbed, about 5 minutes. Continue adding broth 1/2 cup at a time, stirring occasionally, until its absorbed and farro is al dente and has a porridgelike consistency, 25 to 30 minutes.
4. Stir in 1 1/2 teaspoons oil, lemon juice and remaining salt and pepper; cover, remove from heat, and let rest 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in Parmesan, chives and lemon zest. Drizzle with remaining oil.