Grilled Eggplant Parmesan Sandwich
- cal. (kcal) 291
- Makes: 4 servings
- Prep: 45 mins
- Start to Finish: 45 mins
- Carb Grams Per Serving: 48
large eggplant, (1 1/4 - 1 1/2 pounds), cut into 12 1/4-inch-thick rounds
Canola or olive oil cooking spray
finely shredded Parmesan, or Asiago cheese
shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
small pieces focaccia bread, or rustic Italian bread
extra-virgin olive oil
crushed tomatoes, preferably fire-roasted
chopped fresh basil, divided
- Preheat grill to medium-high.
- Place eggplant rounds on a baking sheet and sprinkle with salt. Coat both sides lightly with cooking spray. Combine Parmesan (or Asiago) and mozzarella in a small bowl. Brush both sides of focaccia (or bread) with oil.
- Place spinach in a large microwave-safe bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and punch several holes in the wrap. Microwave on High until wilted, 2 to 3 minutes. Combine tomatoes and 2 tablespoons basil in a small microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave until bubbling, about 2 minutes.
- Place all your ingredients on the baking sheet with the eggplant and take it to the grill. Grill the eggplant slices until brown and soft on both sides, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Grill the bread until toasted, about 1 minute per side. Return the eggplant and bread to the baking sheet. Reduce grill heat to medium.
- Place 1 eggplant round on top of each slice of bread. Layer 1 tablespoon tomatoes, 1 tablespoon wilted spinach and 1 tablespoon cheese on each slice of eggplant. Repeat with the remaining eggplant, sauce, spinach and cheese. Sprinkle each stack with some of the remaining basil. Place the baking sheet on the grill, close the lid and grill until the eggplant stack is hot and the cheese is melted, 5 to 7 minutes.
Nutrition InformationServings Per Recipe: 4
PER SERVING: 291 cal., 8 g total fat (2 g sat. fat), 12 mg chol., 756 mg sodium, 48 g carb. (9 g fiber), 12 g pro.