Grilled Chicken with Cherry-Chipotle Barbecue Sauce
- cal. (kcal) 180
- Makes: 8 servings
- Prep: 30 mins
- Start to Finish: 2 hrs 45 mins
- Carb Grams Per Serving: 15
fresh or frozen (thawed) dark sweet cherries, pitted and chopped (see Tips)
reduced-sodium chicken broth
minced canned chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, (see Note), or more to taste
boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed
- Stir cherries, broth, preserves, ketchup, vinegar, chipotle peppers, thyme and allspice in a small deep bowl. Transfer to a shallow nonreactive dish (see Note) large enough to hold chicken. Add chicken and turn to coat well. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat grill to high. Oil the grill rack (see Tip). Remove the chicken from the marinade. Transfer the marinade to a medium skillet.
- Bring the marinade to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the sauce is reduced by about half, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, reduce the grill heat to medium and grill the chicken until cooked through and no longer pink in the middle, 7 to 9 minutes per side. Let the chicken cool slightly; serve with the sauce.
- Tips: Tips: Be sure to measure frozen cherries while still frozen, then thaw. (Drain juice before using.)
- To pit a cherry, halve it with a paring knife then pry out the pit with the tip of the knife, or use a cherry pitter.
- To oil the grill rack, oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.) When grilling delicate foods like tofu and fish, it is helpful to spray the food with cooking spray before placing it on the grill.
- Notes: Chipotle chiles in adobo sauce are smoked jalapenos packed in a flavorful sauce. Look for the small cans with the Mexican foods in large supermarkets. Once opened, they'll keep up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator or 6 months in the freezer.
- A nonreactive pan--stainless steel, enamel-coated or glass--is best for acidic foods, such as lemon, to prevent the food from reacting with the pan. Reactive pans, such as aluminum and cast-iron, can impart an off color andor off flavor in acidic foods.
- MAKE AHEAD TIP: Prepare through Step 1. Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
Nutrition InformationServings Per Recipe: 8
PER SERVING: 180 cal., 3 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 63 mg chol., 179 mg sodium, 15 g carb. (1 g fiber), 24 g pro.