Yield: 48 cookies Prep 45 mins Chill 24 hrs to 26 hrs Bake 375°F 8 mins to 10 mins a batch View Nutrition Facts
- 1 cup natural, plain low-fat or fat-free yogurt or 1/2 cup cream cheese (4 ounces)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups white whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 8 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
DirectionsFor yogurt cheese (if using yogurt):
1. Line a yogurt strainer, sieve or small colander with three layers of 100 percent-cotton cheesecloth or a clean paper coffee filter. Suspend lined strainer, sieve or colander over a medium bowl. Spoon in yogurt. Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 24 hours. Remove from refrigerator; discard liquid. Set yogurt cheese aside.
2. In a medium bowl, mix together flours, cream of tartar and baking soda; set aside. In a large bowl, beat butter and yogurt cheese or cream cheese with an electric mixer for 30 seconds. Add 1 cup granulated sugar. Beat until combined, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in eggs and vanilla until combined. Beat in as much of the flour mixture as you can with the mixer. Stir in any remaining flour mixture. Divide the dough in half. Wrap and chill dough for 2 hours, or until easy to handle.
3. Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease cookie sheets; set aside. In a small bowl, mix together 3 tablespoons granulated sugar and the cinnamon. Roll dough into small balls (about 1 inch in diameter), then roll the balls in the sugar mixture. Place balls about 1 inch apart on prepared cookie sheets. Flatten balls slightly, if desired.
4. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until edges are lightly browned. Remove and cool on wire racks.Healthy Savings:
5. We cut 22 calories, 2 g carbohydrate and 2 g saturated fat; added 1 g protein, 0.5 g fiber.
6. Nutrition facts per 1 Cookie
7. Makes 48 cookies
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say "Yes" to Fitness® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE – 2 full years (20 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Fitness Band and Total Body Express Band Workout ABSOLUTELY FREE! (U.S. orders only)