Cooked Wheat Berries
- cal. (kcal) 151
- Makes: 9 servings
- Prep: 5 mins
- Start to Finish: 1 hr 15 mins
- Carb Grams Per Serving: 29
hard red winter-wheat berries, (see Tip)
- Sort through wheat berries carefully, discarding any stones. Rinse well under cool running water. Place in a large heavy saucepan. Add water and salt.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat, cover, and simmer gently for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Drain and rinse. To serve hot, use immediately. Otherwise, follow the make-ahead instructions.
- Tips: Tip: Wheat berries can be found in natural-foods markets and online at King Arthur Flour, (800) 827-6836, bakerscatalogue.com, and Bob's Red Mill, (800) 349-2173, bobsredmill.com.
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 1 month.
Nutrition InformationServings Per Recipe: 9
PER SERVING: 151 cal., 1 g total fat 265 mg sodium, 29 g carb. (4 g fiber), 6 g pro.