Coconut Chicken and Waffles
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup light coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 egg whites, beaten
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (about 1 pound), cut into 24 pieces
- 24 frozen whole-grain mini waffles (such as Van's), toasted
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees . In a small saucepan, combine maple syrup and coconut milk. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook, stirring, until reduced by a third, about 5 minutes. Stir in vanilla extract and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, spread coconut on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until golden, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer to a shallow dish and stir in sugar, salt, ginger and cayenne. Place egg whites in another shallow dish. Spray baking sheet with cooking spray. Working in batches, dip chicken in egg whites, allowing excess to drip off, then roll in coconut mixture, coating completely. Place chicken on prepared baking sheet and bake until cooked through, about 6 minutes.
3. Top waffles with chicken and serve with coconut syrup on the side.