Pear and Cranberry Crisp
- 1/3 cup dried cranberries
- 2 pounds firm pears (4 large or 5 small pears), peeled, cored and cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons rolled oats
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- Small pinch salt
- 2 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed and softened
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place the cranberries in a bowl and cover them with boiling water. Let soak until plump, about 15 minutes. Drain well.
2. Combine the almonds, whole-wheat flour, brown sugar, oats, nutmeg and salt in a food processor; pulse a few times. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles granola.
3. In a 10-inch glass pie plate or baking dish, combine the drained cranberries with the pears, maple syrup, flour and vanilla. Toss well. Scatter the topping over the fruit.
4. Bake the crisp until the topping is well browned, about 1 hour. Serve warm.