Chile Relleno Grilled Cheese
- cal. (kcal) 391
- Makes: 4 servings
- Prep: 30 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Carb Grams Per Serving: 33
fresh lime juice
slices whole-wheat bread
shredded Monterey Jack (about 3/4 cup)
large eggs, slightly beaten
- Place an oven rack in the upper third of the oven. Preheat the broiler to high. Place poblanos on a rimmed baking sheet lined with aluminum foil and broil, turning occasionally, until blistered and charred on all sides, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl, cover and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, mash avocado in a small bowl with lime juice and salt. Spread avocado mixture on four slices of bread. Divide Monterey Jack among remaining slices. When peppers are cool enough to handle, peel off charred skin, remove stems and seeds and cut in half. Layer pepper halves over cheese and top with avocado-smeared bread.
- Whisk together eggs, milk and chili powder in a shallow dish. Dip two sandwiches into egg mixture, coating the tops and bottoms but not the sides.
- Melt 11/2 teaspoons butter and 1 teaspoon oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat; swirl to coat. Lay the two sandwiches in skillet and cook until golden on the bottom, 3 to 5 minutes. Carefully flip and reduce heat to medium low. Continue cooking until second side is golden and cheese is melted, 3 to 5 minutes more. Dip remaining sandwiches in egg mixture and repeat cooking process over medium-low heat.
Nutrition InformationServings Per Recipe: 4
PER SERVING: 391 cal., 21 g total fat (8 g sat. fat), 439 mg sodium, 33 g carb. (6 g fiber), 18 g pro.