Stuffed Chicken Breasts with Apple-Thyme Sauce
- cal. (kcal) 272
- Makes: 8 servings
- Prep: 30 mins
- Bake: 25 mins
- Carb Grams Per Serving: 17
skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (about 2 pounds total)
cloves garlic, minced
frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well-drained
dried currants or raisins
pine nuts, toasted
reduced-sodium chicken broth
apple juice or apple cider
snipped fresh thyme or 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
butter or margarine
- Place each breast half between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Pound lightly with the flat side of a meat mallet to 1/4-inch thickness.* Remove plastic wrap. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper; set aside.
- In a medium skillet heat 2 teaspoons of the olive oil over medium heat; add garlic. Cook and stir about 30 seconds or until golden brown. Remove from heat. Stir in well-drained spinach, 1/3 cup of the currants, and half of the pine nuts. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Divide spinach mixture among chicken breasts. Starting from a long side, roll up each chicken breast into a spiral, folding in ends.
- Lightly grease a 3-quart rectangular baking dish. Place chicken roll-ups, seam sides down, in prepared baking dish. Brush with remaining olive oil. Sprinkle with additional pepper. (Cover and refrigerate for up to 4 hours.) Bake, uncovered, in 375 degrees oven about 25 minutes or until no longer pink and juices run clear.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, in a small saucepan gradually stir chicken broth and apple juice into cornstarch. Add remaining 1/3 cup currants and the dried thyme, if using. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Remove from heat. (Cover and refrigerate for up to 4 hours. Reheat before serving.) Stir in remaining pine nuts, the butter, and the fresh thyme, if using.
- To serve, diagonally slice each chicken breast into 1/2-inch slices. Arrange chicken slices on serving plates; drizzle with a little sauce. Pass remaining sauce.
- *Time-saving tip: Pound chicken up to 1 day in advance. Wrap and refrigerate to store.
Nutrition InformationServings Per Recipe: 8
PER SERVING: 272 cal., 10 g total fat (2 g sat. fat), 70 mg chol., 358 mg sodium, 17 g carb. (2 g fiber), 30 g pro.