Pan-Roasted Chicken Breasts with Mushrooms and Leeks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 12 shiitake mushroom caps, thinly sliced
- 1 4-inch piece of leek, white part only, thinly sliced and rinsed clean of grit
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (about 5 ounces each)
1. Heat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add mushrooms and leeks; cook, stirring, 4 minutes, or until tender. Remove from heat; sprinkle with half the thyme, salt and pepper.
3. With a paring knife, cut a small pocket in the top edge of one side of each chicken breast, being careful not to cut through the breast.
4. Fill with 2 to 3 tablespoons of the mushroom filling. Season chicken with remaining thyme, salt and pepper.
5. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in an ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Brown chicken on both sides.
6. Transfer pan to oven and roast 10 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Serve with remaining mushroom-leek mixture.