- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 3/4 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs, fat trimmed, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bunch scallions, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced
- 1 zucchini, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 2 carrots, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 1/4 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1/2 cup canned chickpeas, drained
- 1/2 lemon, zest peeled into 1/2-inch- thick strips, juice to taste
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat couscous
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
1. Warm the oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the almonds; toast until golden, 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer them to a bowl.
2. Season the chicken with the salt and black pepper, add to pot and cook until browned, 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer chicken to a plate. Add the scallions, zucchini and carrots; cook 6 minutes. Mix in the cinnamon, cumin, coriander and turmeric; saute 1 minute.
3. Add the chicken stock, tomato, chickpeas, lemon zest and raisins; bring to a simmer. Return chicken to pot, cover and simmer 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer chicken and vegetables to a serving bowl. Season with lemon juice. Cover and keep warm.
4. Add the couscous to the liquid remaining in pot, cover and turn off heat. Let rest 5 minutes; fluff couscous with a fork. Serve chicken and vegetables over couscous, garnished with almonds and parsley.