- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 large carrot, diced
- 2 cups sliced white button mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning blend
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 3/4 cups cooked barley
- 1 1/2 cups shredded poached chicken
- 1/2 cup sliced scallions
1. Heat oil in a large heavy-bottomed saucepan or soup pot over medium high heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring until fragrant but not browned, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add celery, carrot, mushrooms, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper and cook, stirring often, until mushrooms have released their juices and vegetables start to soften, 4 to 6 minutes.
2. Add wine, increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Boil until wine is almost completely evaporated, about 4 minutes. Add broth, cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until vegetables are soft, 5 to 8 minutes. Stir in barley, chicken and scallions, increase heat to high and cook until heated through, 1 to 3 minutes.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say "Yes" to Fitness® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE – 2 full years (20 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Fitness Band and Total Body Express Band Workout ABSOLUTELY FREE! (U.S. orders only)