Cheddar-and-Scallion Corn Bread
Yield: 15 squares Prep 15 mins Cook 18 mins View Nutrition Facts
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup grated extra-sharp cheddar
- 1/4 cup sliced scallions
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Mist two 8-inch round cake pans with cooking spray.
2. Stir in the buttermilk, oil and egg whites until just combined. Distribute the batter evenly between the pans; sprinkle with the cheddar and scallions.
3. Bake 15 to 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool and then slice into squares and serve.