Chard with Shallots, Pancetta & Walnuts
- cal. (kcal) 62
- Makes: 4 servings
- Prep: 25 mins
- Start to Finish: 25 mins
- Carb Grams Per Serving: 5
pancetta, (1 1/2 ounces), diced (see Tip)
medium shallots, thinly sliced
chard, stems and leaves separated, chopped (see Note)
chopped fresh thyme
chopped walnuts, toasted (see Tip)
freshly ground pepper
- Cook pancetta in a Dutch oven over medium heat, stirring, until it begins to brown, 4 to 6 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a plate lined with paper towels.
- Add shallots, chard stems and thyme to the pan drippings and cook, stirring, until the shallots begin to brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Add chard leaves, water and lemon juice and cook, stirring, until wilted, about 2 minutes. Cover and cook until tender, 2 to 4 minutes more. Remove from the heat; stir in the pancetta, walnuts and pepper.
- Tips: Pancetta is an unsmoked Italian bacon usually found in the deli section of large supermarkets and specialty food stores. Regular or turkey bacon may be substituted.
- To toast chopped walnuts: Cook in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.
- Note: After washing the chard, allow some of the water to cling to the leaves. It helps steam the chard and prevents a dry finished dish.
Nutrition InformationServings Per Recipe: 4
PER SERVING: 62 cal., 4 g total fat (1 g sat. fat), 5 mg chol., 252 mg sodium, 5 g carb. (2 g fiber), 3 g pro.