Black Bean Nacho Burgers
Yield: 4 burgers Prep 25 mins Chill 30 mins Cook 12 mins View Nutrition Facts
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup finely crushed tortilla chips (preferably blue corn)
- 1/3 cup salsa plus additional for serving
- 1/2 cup 50% reduced-fat grated cheddar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 scallion, white and green part, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 hamburger buns
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 4 butter lettuce leaves (optional)
1. Use a food processor or a potato masher to smash beans until chunky, leaving some partly whole. Stir in crushed chips, salsa, cheddar, egg, scallion and black pepper. Set mixture aside 10 minutes, then shape into 4 patties.
2. Place patties on a plate, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 30 minutes or overnight.
3. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place buns on a baking sheet and heat in oven until warm to the touch, 4 to 6 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add patties to pan and cook until golden brown on one side, 4 to 5 minutes. Add remaining oil, flip patties and cook until underside is golden, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat and serve topped with salsa and lettuce, if desired, on buns.
- This flavor-packed burger has about half the fat of the fast-food version -- even with the cheddar and chips! Recipe adapted from Ten Dollar Dinners by Melissa d'Arabian (Clarkson Potter, $25)