Black Bean ¿Nacho¿ Burgers
- cal. (kcal) 342
- Makes: 4 servings
- Prep: 25 mins
- Chill: 30 mins
- Cook: 12 mins
- Carb Grams Per Serving: 48
black beans, drained and rinsed
finely crushed tortilla chips (preferably blue corn)
salsa plus additional for serving
50% reduced-fat grated cheddar
large egg, lightly beaten
scallion, white and green part, finely chopped
butter lettuce leaves (optional)
- Use a food processor or a potato masher to smash beans until chunky, leaving some partly whole. Stir in crushed chips, salsa, cheddar, egg, scallion and black pepper. Set mixture aside 10 minutes, then shape into 4 patties.
- Place patties on a plate, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place buns on a baking sheet and heat in oven until warm to the touch, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add patties to pan and cook until golden brown on one side, 4 to 5 minutes. Add remaining oil, flip patties and cook until underside is golden, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat and serve topped with salsa and lettuce, if desired, on buns.
- This flavor-packed burger has about half the fat of the fast-food version -- even with the cheddar and chips! Recipe adapted from Ten Dollar Dinners by Melissa d'Arabian (Clarkson Potter, $25)
Nutrition InformationServings Per Recipe: 4
PER SERVING: 342 cal., 11 g total fat (3 g sat. fat), 845 mg sodium, 48 g carb. (7 g fiber), 18 g pro.