Beets & Greens Salad with Cannellini Beans
- cal. (kcal) 302
- Makes: 4 servings
- Prep: 30 mins
- Start to Finish: 2 hrs
- Carb Grams Per Serving: 28
beets with unblemished greens, or 8 cups lightly packed beet greens
cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
extra-virgin olive oil
dried oregano, or 2 teaspoons fresh oregano leaves, minced
Freshly ground pepper, to taste
cannellini beans, rinsed
thinly slivered red onion, (1/2 small onion)
- If using beets, preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Cut greens from beets, leaving about 1 inch of stem attached; reserve about 8 cups greens, lightly packed. Wash and dry the beets. Wrap in foil and roast until tender, 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours, depending on the size. (Alternatively, place beets in a microwave-safe dish, add 1/4 cup water, cover and microwave on high for 20 to 25 minutes.) When the beets are cool enough to handle, peel 4 of them and cut into 1/2-inch wedges. You should have about 2 cups. Place in a medium bowl. (Reserve the remaining beets for another use.)
- Using a mortar and pestle or the side of a chef's knife, mash garlic and salt into a paste. Transfer to a large bowl. Add vinegar and whisk to blend. Add oil, oregano and pepper, whisking until blended. Measure out 1 tablespoon and add to the beet wedges; toss to coat. Add beans to the remaining dressing and toss to coat. Let marinate at room temperature until ready to use.
- Place onion in a small bowl, cover with cold water and add a handful of ice cubes; let stand for 10 minutes, or until ready to use.
- Meanwhile, bring 2 cups lightly salted water to a boil in a large wide pan. Wash beet greens in several changes of water; trim the stems. Add the greens to boiling water, cover and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Drain well, pressing on the greens with the back of a spoon to remove excess moisture. Cut into 1-inch pieces.
- Drain the onion. Add to the beans along with greens; toss to coat. Spoon the salad onto a serving platter or individual plates and garnish with the beets, if using. Serve immediately.
- Tips: Soaking the onion in ice water for 10 minutes or more renders it less pungent and more crisp.
- MAKE AHEAD TIP: Prepare through Step 1, cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
Nutrition InformationServings Per Recipe: 4
PER SERVING: 302 cal., 19 g total fat (3 g sat. fat), 869 mg sodium, 28 g carb. (8 g fiber), 7 g pro.