- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- Olive oil for grilling
- 4 whole-wheat hamburger buns
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- Lettuce leaves
1. In a large bowl, mix together the beef, lemon zest, salt, black pepper and garlic. Divide meat into four equal pieces and gently form into 1/2-inch-thick patties.
2. Heat the grill to medium high and brush the grate generously with oil. Transfer burgers to grill. Close the cover and cook 2 to 3 minutes a side for medium rare. Remove from grill and rest 5 minutes.
3. Arrange burgers on the buns and top with the tomato, onion and lettuce.