Beef-and-Vegetable Polenta Pie
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 zucchini, minced
- 1 carrot, minced
- 1 celery stalk, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, minced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup tomato salsa
- 1/2 cup frozen or fresh corn kernels (optional)
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 9 ounces ready-made polenta, diced
- 1/3 cup shredded pepper Jack cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. In a large cast-iron skillet, warm 1 teaspoon of the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the beef and brown, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer beef to a plate. Wipe skillet with a paper towel.
2. Add the remaining olive oil and the onion, zucchini, carrot, celery, garlic, and red and green peppers to the skillet; saute until vegetables begin to soften, 5 minutes. Add the chili powder, cumin and cinnamon and saute 1 minute.
3. Stir beef, salsa and the corn (if using) and ketchup into vegetables; season with the salt.
4. Scatter the polenta over beef mixture and sprinkle the pepper Jack cheese over the top. Bake until polenta is heated and cheese is golden-brown, about 7 to 10 minutes.