Black Bean Couscous
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 1/2 cup chopped red or green sweet pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 14 1/2ounce can vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 cup quick-cooking couscous
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh cilantro
1. In a large skillet heat oil; add green onions, sweet pepper, and garlic. Cook and stir until vegetables are just tender but not brown. Stir in the cumin, salt, paprika, chili powder, and ground red pepper; cook and stir 1 minute more.
2. Carefully stir beans and broth into mixture in skillet. Bring to boiling; stir in couscous. Remove from heat. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Just before serving, stir in 3 tablespoons of the cilantro. Sprinkle remaining cilantro atop each serving.