14 Easy Ways to Help Save the Planet
Josh's Very Best Green Ideas
- Contact your local utility company about alternative energy options for powering your home. Many cities offer greener choices, including wind or hydropower -- my apartment is powered by wind, for instance. Also, do the obvious, like turning off the lights when you leave the room, and unplugging appliances that are not in use.
- Trade in your old gear or get a great deal on used sporting goods and keep them out of landfills. Play It Again Sports is a national sporting goods chain that offers an excellent selection of used equipment.
- Choose organic skincare and beauty products. Look for the USDA Organic Seal or "certified organic" in the ingredient list, which means that 95 percent of the ingredients have been grown according to guidelines restricting pesticide use. Organic products are also usually packaged in biodegradable or recycled containers.
- Recycle your old computers, cell phones, and TVs. Landfill-bound electronics may contain toxic chemicals that could potentially contaminate air, soil, and water. Check out ripmobile.com or collectivegood.com for easy instructions on how to safely recycle or donate your outdated devices to charity.
- Make your next vacation green. Rent a fuel-efficient car, choose an environmentally responsible hotel, or select an eco-tourism destination. It's easy now that major chains including Fairmont Hotels & Resorts and Kimpton Hotels feature green options and participate in recycling and energy and water conservation.
Originally published on FitnessMagazine.com, March 2008.
What do you think of this story? Leave a Comment.