5 Steps to a Good Night's Sleep
Think like a kid: Yep, even adults need a routine. Here's yours (no binkie required):
- Hit the sack within 30 minutes of the same time each night, and try to wake up at about the same time each day -- even on weekends. Experts swear it works.
- A before-bed routine can also help you chill. Try a hot shower with a favorite, scented body wash; some evidence suggests that when your body temperature is elevated that way and begins dropping, it has a calming effect that can help you sleep more soundly, explains Dr. Epstein.
- Follow your tub time with a single chapter of a relaxing book, or listen to a few soothing songs on an iPod playlist.
- Put on a pair of socks before you hop in bed: According to that Swedish study, the blood vessels in the feet naturally dilate as the body begins to relax, and warming your feet facilitates the process.
- Finally, set the thermostat to about 68 degrees, close the blinds to block out light, and pull up the covers. Sweet dreams!
What do you think of this story? Leave a Comment.