9 Surprising Diabetes Risks
Pages in this Story:
- 1. Watching two hours or more of TV daily
- 2. Drinking one soda a day
- 3. Skipping breakfast
- 4. A bout of major depression
- 5. A large waist -- even if you're at a normal weight
- 6. Waking up in the middle of the night
- 7. Eating fast food more than twice a week
- 8. High stress
- 9. Consuming lots of processed meat (like hot dogs and bacon)
9. Consuming lots of processed meat (like hot dogs and bacon)
Raises your risk: 43 percent
How: These meats are loaded with preservatives that may destroy insulin-producing cells in your pancreas, say Harvard Medical School researchers. When insulin is in short supply, blood sugar rises -- the hallmark of diabetes.
The fix: Cut back: a Harvard study found that women who had these meats less often than once a week had the lowest risk. Eating preservative-free varieties may help too. Brands we've found include Maverick Ranch and Applegate Farms.
Originally published in FITNESS magazine, April 2007.
What do you think of this story? Leave a Comment.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say "Yes" to Fitness® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE – 2 full years (20 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Fitness Band and Total Body Express Band Workout ABSOLUTELY FREE! (U.S. orders only)