9 Surprising Diabetes Risks
Pages in this Story:
- 1. Watching two hours or more of TV daily
- 2. Drinking one soda a day
- 3. Skipping breakfast
- 4. A bout of major depression
- 5. A large waist -- even if you're at a normal weight
- 6. Waking up in the middle of the night
- 7. Eating fast food more than twice a week
- 8. High stress
- 9. Consuming lots of processed meat (like hot dogs and bacon)
7. Eating fast food more than twice a week
Raises your risk: 100 percent
How: It can lead to weight gain, especially if you don't make healthy choices. People who ate burgers, fries, and soda more than twice a week put on 10 extra pounds and were twice as likely to become resistant to insulin, according to a 15-year University of Minnesota study.
The fix: Satisfy your craving for fast food with smaller portions: Try a small burger with no cheese, small fries, and a diet soda, says Chalmers. Even better, go for a grilled chicken sandwich with just a dab of honey-mustard sauce.
What do you think of this story? Leave a Comment.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say "Yes" to Fitness® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE – 2 full years (20 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Fitness Band and Total Body Express Band Workout ABSOLUTELY FREE! (U.S. orders only)