9 Surprising Diabetes Risks
Pages in this Story:
- 1. Watching two hours or more of TV daily
- 2. Drinking one soda a day
- 3. Skipping breakfast
- 4. A bout of major depression
- 5. A large waist -- even if you're at a normal weight
- 6. Waking up in the middle of the night
- 7. Eating fast food more than twice a week
- 8. High stress
- 9. Consuming lots of processed meat (like hot dogs and bacon)
3. Skipping breakfast
Raises your risk: 30 to 50 percent
How: Not having that a.m. meal increases levels of an appetite-stimulating hormone called gherlin, making you hungrier and likely to eat more -- which can lead to weight gain.
The fix: Have high-fiber cereal with low-fat milk and one-half cup of fruit in the morning, recommends Karen A. Chalmers, MS, RD, an advanced-practice diabetes specialist at the Joslin Diabetes Center at Harvard University. One study of people with prediabetes found that eating high-fiber cereals made their cells respond better to insulin. Consuming dairy products may also cut the risk for insulin resistance by 72 percent.
What do you think of this story? Leave a Comment.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say "Yes" to Fitness® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE – 2 full years (20 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Fitness Band and Total Body Express Band Workout ABSOLUTELY FREE! (U.S. orders only)