How Healthy Are Your Breasts?
Pages in this Story:
- Why Your Breasts Hurt
- Culprit #1: You're about to get your period.
- Culprit #2: You've got fibrocystic breasts.
- Culprit #3: Your diet.
- Culprit #4: You're overdoing it at the gym.
- Culprit #5: Your meds.
- New Reasons to Get a Mammogram
- What to Do If You Find a Lump in Your Breast
- Straight Answers to Your Biggest Questions
Culprit #3: Your diet.
In a Canadian study, women who got fewer than 15 percent of their total calories from fat were much less likely to experience premenstrual breast tenderness and swelling. One theory is that a restricted-fat diet results in lower levels of circulating estrogen in the body, leading to less swelling of breast tissue and less pain. You may also want to cut back on caffeine, says Dr. Tousimis. Some experts believe that it can make breast tissue swell, causing pain.
What do you think of this story? Leave a Comment.
SAVE EVEN MORE! Say "Yes" to Fitness® Magazine today and get a second year for HALF PRICE – 2 full years (20 issues) for just $15. You also get our new Fitness Band and Total Body Express Band Workout ABSOLUTELY FREE! (U.S. orders only)